Thursday, October 05, 2006

Illustrator training and BBC

On Tuesday we had a day's training on Illustrator. This was good because I have never used it before. This is largely because I have boxed it as an artist's tool, not to be used by amateur designers like myself. Although I find drawing challenging to say the least (!!), it was great to have an overview of how to use Illustrator. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that when you draw with the paintbrush tool, when you have finished drawing your line, Illustrator helps to curve it properly.

We learnt how to join up separate lines and pathways. The mesh tool is also useful, especially if you are wanting to create a globe effect. You can also create your own symbols and paintbrushes.

We were given our brief on the mock up of a game or website. Initially I thought I would like to do the game, as this is new territory for me. However, after an afternoon on Illustrator trying to draw a character that looks like a chef, but looked more like the Pope instead, I think I have decided to do the website assignment. I do find drawing a challenge and it can be frustrating as I know what I want to produce, but struggle to draw it.

Yesterday we visited the BBC New Media department. This was interesting and informative. A range of people from producers, developers, designers and project managers came to speak to us. We had a run down on how they operate and the issues involved in creating Flash and HTML sites, and what considerations each person has to be aware of depending on their role.